My Firework

Thursday, October 13, 2011

learning to drive a truck

My dad and maternal uncle tried their best to teach me cycling. Look straight ahead they said, keep handle straight and hold it like you hold a pencil they hollered. They gave up! my death grip on the handle bar caused me to lose balance and in those 3 months mom had to endure me and my numerous scratched, scraped, knees. Then one day, I managed to prop the cycle next to a rock and clamber on to the seat and then pedalled furiously, i was flying. Sure the first time I fly straight into a ditch and the next time into a handcart, I did survive and learn to ride a cycle, a beautiful BSA SLR. Yes the very same one that Kapil Dev borrowed from a kid my age to reach the stadium in the comic strip ad that appeared in Indrajal Comics. (to date i never learnt the monkey kick style of cycle riding or the push and hop on the seat style, my bad!)

I graduated to a scooter and then to a kawasaki bajaj 100 cc bike. It was always a breeze. Then we bought a second hand Maruti 800, and one had to unlearn the cycle / motobike art of riding and learn to sense and measure the 4 corners of the car. Until I had to drive a truck once. To date I do not have the guts to drive something bigger than a hatchback, I have tried and suffered all kind of cars. I think I have the mortal fear of killing someone. With a small car, its easier, you are the master, the lone rider, ranger, etc etc. The bigger the vehicle gets, the larger gets the risk which extends beyond me.

Whats the purpose of writing all of the above? Answer: working for a corporate is like driving that truck which I tried long ago.

You are not alone, your decisions are not your own, the accidents are not caused by you alone. So when you drive a truck you have to aware of the 4 extended corners of the vehicle, that you cannot really see. You have to use the gut, but get approvals for that gut feel, of whether you can turn, or cut lanes. (when on Haryana roads, this rule does not apply :p )

And you have to let go. Use that light hand that dad spoke of, that light hand that makes fluffy cakes.

Ten months and learning.

No comments:

Tweet